Teenage Refugee Project Leader
We are looking for volunteers who can lead the development, implementation, and expansion of our youth program that is currently operational in the Agia Eleni refugee camp in Ioannina. We work with 42 young people from 4 different nationalities.
The ideal candidate will possess experience working with children and young people in an educational and environmental outdoor setting and will have experience in and/or knowledge of the Scouting movement. Individuals with expertise working with children in non-formal educational/like-minded programs are encouraged to apply. Knowledge and/or experience working in a similar context (refugee crisis) and with vulnerable youth is a strong plus.
The role will include:
- Organizing weekly activities with the Scouts and team leaders;
- Identifying, developing and managing team leaders;
- Collaborating with the wider Second Tree team;
- Supporting team leaders to plan and implement weekly activities and excursions;
- Supporting in Second Tree’s general logistic needs;
- Ability to commit to 2 months mínimum;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, multi-lingual setting;
- Ability to work independently and within a team;
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage own workload;
- Ability to work in a high-intensity environment;
- Adaptable, flexible attitude and approach to activities and people management;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to communicate in an open, honest, direct manner;
- Experience working as a Scout leader and/or part of the Scout Leadership Team
- Experience with teenagers in educational and leisure activities
- Ability to drive (possession of valid driving license)
- Certifications such as: Free Time Monitor, Free Time Coordinator and Sociocultural Animator.
- Demonstrable experience in the animation field and summer camps.
- Knowledge of the Scout Movement and/or similar pedagogical tools and programs
- Language skills: Arabic, Persian, Dari and/or Kurmanji
What We Offer:
- Accommodation with all the basic amenities (WiFi, heating, laundry, kitchen) covered in a shared team house.
- Transportation for work-related activities.
- Reference letter pending successful completion of engagement
We have two volunteer houses that can host up to nine people where long-term volunteers are accommodated. Some volunteers choose to rent their own accommodation. In certain periods of the year, demand is extremely high, and the volunteer houses might be full. If you have the means to pay for your own accommodation, please let us know. We would still be happy to host you if space is available. However, in a situation where the volunteer houses are full, this would allow us to offer a volunteering opportunity to someone that cannot afford to pay rent.
How to apply:
Candidates should send their CV and cover letter to Giovanni Fontana at email@example.com.
Please put “Scout Leader Candidate” as the subject line, and specify in your email the dates you would be available to volunteer.