Qualified English Teacher
We are looking for volunteer teachers to deliver English classes to refugees and asylum seekers in Ioannina and the Epirus region. The ideal candidate(s) will have experience in teaching English as a foreign/second language and will possess a strong understanding of our passion for the context we work in (refugee crisis). Experience delivering educational activities to vulnerable populations is a strong advantage.
The role will include:
- Delivering daily classes to the population at the assigned site;
- Preparing class materials;
- Ensuring student engagement and progress;
- Working closely with the Program Manager to ensure the program is being delivered to the expected standards of Second Tree;
- Degree in teaching and/or Certification in English language teaching (TEFL/TESOL/CELTA or equivalent);
- Native English speaker or equivalent fluency in the TOEFL/IELTS/Michigan ELI;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, multi-level classroom;
- Ability to work independently and within a team;
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage own workload;
- Ability to work in a high-intensity environment;
- Adaptable, flexible attitude and approach to teaching and classroom management;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong writing skills;
- Ability to communicate in an open, honest, direct manner;
- Experience working in the refugee context;
- Experience working with vulnerable populations;
- Fluency in Arabic, Persian, Dari, Urdu, Kurmanji or Sorani;
What We Offer:
At Second Tree we cherish the relation that every teacher creates with their students. This is especially true in a refugee context, where gaining students’ trust and having a thorough knowledge of their needs is crucial to their learning. For this reason, we only offer the position of Lead Teacher to volunteers that can commit to at least two months. Short-term volunteers can help as Assistant Teachers. As space is limited, and Lead Teachers are vital to the continuation of the program, we prioritize long-term volunteers.
- For Long-Term Volunteers: if you are staying with us for at least 2 months, we offer free accommodation with all the basic amenities (WiFi, heating, laundry, kitchen) covered in a shared team house, and offer and/or cover transportation for work-related activities;
- For Short-Term Volunteers: if you are staying with us between 3 weeks and 2 months, we might be able to put you in contact with individuals providing cheap accommodation (approx. 5€/day). In case there are empty spaces in the team house, you are welcome to stay there, but priority will be given to long-term volunteers.
How to Apply:
Please send a CV, cover letter and copy of your teaching qualifications (if applicable) to Giovanni Fontana at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put “ESL Teacher Candidate” as the subject line and specify in your email the dates you would be available to volunteer.